Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Principles not Popularity!

Awesome piece in the WSJ by Claudia Rosett that echoes my feelings on America being popular around the world. No question in my mind that our principles, way of life and security is paramount to world opinion. Our principles being righteous will, in the end, also win a world popularity contest. While I liked what Claudia wrote I would have been more strong on the economics of why some dislike us. I have plenty of friends who have immigrated to America and when asked about this topic I have heard 2 common reasons....jealousy and arrogance. The two are related and are humorously illustrated by a quote from Claudia's article by author P.J. O'Rourke. The context is a retort to an American bashing Brit and goes like this:

"WE BE BAD. . . . We're three-quarters grizzly bear and two-thirds car-wreck and descended from a stock-market crash on our mother's side. You take your Germany, France and Spain, roll them all together, and it wouldn't give us room to park our cars. We're the big boys, Jack, the original giant economy-sized new and improved butt-kickers of all time."

No comments: