Friday, December 30, 2005

How my commute could be 90 seconds



My work commute is 6.5 miles and takes on average about 15 minutes, which is extremely short in silicon valley. My current daily driver is capable of making this commute in much less time but the abundance of many less qualified vehicles (and drivers) make this unachievable. Being the performance junky and car buff that I am, I manage to do some spirited driving in my daily commute even if it's only the boyish game of seeing everyone several hundred feet back in my review mirror after only a few seconds of leaving a stop light. My daily driver will do 0-60 in a tad over 5 seconds and has a wind limited top speed just over 140 mph...but this is with a 4800 lbs pickup. There is a strange exaggerated feeling when you have this kind of performance in the unexpected and heavy form of a truck. That's why I can appreciate the eye popping performance numbers of the new Bugatti Veyron. At 4200 lbs these numbers are more like what you would expect from a car weighing 1000 lbs less with the same power. Bugatti has obviously figured out how to best translate scary power (to go and to stop) in a way not achieved in any other production car to date. If you're not a car buff all of this is probably uninteresting and the physical experience I imagine from reading these numbers will be lost on you.

  • Quad turbo 8-liter 16-cylinder 1001 hp, 922 ft/lbs power plant
  • 10 radiators (what?)
  • 7 speed transaxle, 4 wheel drive
  • 0-60 in 2.5 sec
  • 0-150 in 7.5 sec
  • 253 mph top speed (limited to 234 until you use a special key and lower the cars ground clearance from 4.9 to 2.6 in!!!!)
  • 250-0 in less than 10 sec
  • $1,200,000

No comments: