Monday, February 14, 2005

Chris Rock, is he bad for black America?

My previous post got me thinking about the word "cracker". Chris Rock who uses it often, although not as often as the F bomb, and his recent pathetic opinions he unfortunately decided to share got my blood boiling. First the word cracker which I learned about on the English department of Virginia Tech's website. While its historic roots are interesting its the more recent use of the word that ticked me off. Apparently this is a term blacks use to describe whites who are thought to be racist. So Rock considers pretty much all whites racist? Then you add his comments about abortion as if he is making a statement about freedoms in general being a wonderful thing in this country. Dude, don't you know young and impressionable blacks hear what you spew? Lastly, he talks about the Oscar's like its a joke, an uncool event that no cool, black or straight male watches. Maybe this is all an attempt at humor but I think as with most humor there's usually a connection with the material and the joke teller. This is exactly the kind of role model black America (or America in general) doesn't need....and whether you think a popular performer or athlete should be role models or not doesn't matter...they are and especially for young blacks since too many don't have a male authority figure at home.

If a white performer had spouted off with this sort of thing the outrage, the public cry for his removal from the Oscars and also shunnig in general they would be subject to would be career changing. So liberal press, liberal actors, and black leaders where is your spine???????

Update 1: ok, I decided to change the title of this post to a question instead of a statement....maybe Drudge is manufacturing the picture to make a story, we'll see...and while I think Rock is funny I still pose the question. Who sets a good example for young black men in particular?

Update 2: I don't know if Drudge took bits from Rock's act to build contraversy around Rock's statements about the Oscar's directly. But, this will I'm sure boost ratings of the show. I do think its a bit duplicite that the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) issued a statement in defense of of Rock. "Chris Rock isn't making fun of gays -- he's poking fun at the Oscars," "It's shtick" said their executive director. If Jeff Foxworthy was to be the host and made the gay comment what would GLAAD say?

Update 3: I have seen nothing knew to make me change my mind about Rock...in fact when I look at what he says (either to press or from his acts) I get more bothered. Rock acts as if he is the result of a black ghetto upbringing as evidenced by the undertone of nearly everything he says. He of course isn't from that poor or harsh a childhood but yet he talks like a bitter black man who becomes racist towards whites. Its all over his act and everything that comes out of his mouth. Rock said of the Oscars "you don't see a lot of black people nominated, so why should I watch it?'' Is that funny? Is that humorous banter or a racist statement. I know he's an F-ing comic, but it bothers me when someone belongs to a group that constantly claims racism but yet they say and act in a racist way towards the very group they bemoan. It's also ridiculous that its ok for a black person to make black steorotype jokes or use the n-word and its not ok for me...now who doesn't have a sense of humor?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should take another look at Rock. Comedy is not ... the beautiful, elegant language. Going back through Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, and Richard Pryor, comics often use harsh and acerbic invectives but it's often hyperbole. When Rock says "cracker" or just as often when he says "nigger" in any of his performances, it's not really the childish name calling we expect. I think if you saw his shows, you'd end up seeing the context and liking it more. Again, robbing any artist of their context is pretty much opening them up to any interpretation. Imagine if we lost character development in a story and let our characters freeze in place. That's not what this work is about. And yes, Rock is genuinely aiming for art. Whether he hits the mark is your call.

Tiny said...

That's fine, however if he's talking to the press, in a press conference or in an interview he's not necessarily doing his act. I have seen him in interviews where he isn't on script and you can tell he's giving his opinion on a political topic or current event. The other thing is that just because some comic in the past heavily used profanity doesn't give Rock a pass (in my book). You don’t have to be even fully awake to see that the black community could sure use some celebs, icons, leader, etc. that are great role models. I think Rock is very funny….I think he could be funny and creative without relying on the F bomb….he can be as black as he wants, as hiphop as he wants, whatever image he wants but rely on word craft akin to what say Seinfeld or Ramano do.

Tiny said...

Frankly, I guess I went off on Chris Rock because I was disappointed with what going on with Bill Cosby...I really liked what Cosby was willing to say to the black community and it seemed like he was the only black person of influence who was giving a good message to that community....I hope Cosby is clean but his reputation is hosed regardless.

Anonymous said...

I think EVERYONE is disappointed in what might have happened with Cosby. But, first off, the jury's out on the whole deal so we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Secondly (and I think you'd definitely believe in this), the man Cosby is should not affect the quality of his thoughts. Might he not be a credible leader? Perhaps. It's really up to the community. Was he right though? I think without a doubt. On a level, it's up to people like us whether we think that what a person wants to do is bigger than who they are. Let's say Cosby did what's he's accused of. That's horrible. But, if you knew he was capable of actually starting a dialogue or way of addressing the real problems of families and education in the cities, wouldn't you still support that effort? I would. It's a problem and anyone willing to fight it should be supported.

Tiny said...

I agree completely...hopefully in the end his ability to influence a positive change in inner cities where its need won't be damaged too much.

Anonymous said...

See! Who says liberals and conservatives can't agree? :-) The thing that worries me about guys like Drudge and Franken is they get so occupied with making everything a fight that the commonalities are lost. And I think this contributes to a lot of the... divisiveness that you really have talked a lot about. I think most of the 48% of people who voted for Kerry are closer to me than others...