Saturday, July 29, 2006

Do your homework

There's a lot going on in the world. The most important thing going on is a human cancer called Islam. You can take the position that I'm be unfair painting all those who follow Islam as a cancer...but you would be wrong. I know because I have done my homework. From around the world I've read probably 100 blogs and articles and dozens of interviews from news outlets across the spectrum. The key to forming a meaningful and absolute position is having enough information from many sources pro and con. On my calling Islam a cancer I base this on countless first hand accounts from those effected by and living among this cancer in the many countries that have seen the cancer in action in the last decade.

This cancer has many names...Islamic extremist, Islamic fundamentalist, Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Lashkar-e-Toiba, Jaish-e-Mohammed, and so on. But the common thread with these groups spread across the globe is Islam and a evil interpretations of Sharia (Islamic Law) and of the Qur'an (believed to be the word of God as revealed to the Prophet Muhammad). This is our enemy and he is loves the idea of his own death and yours more than we love our life. That is not a mentality that one negotiates or co-exists with. It is one that must be exterminated at all costs.....if you don't understand that you HAVE NOT done your homework...research, study and stop single sourcing your opinions and unless you're a died in the wool pacifist you'll agree with me.

Back to my main message of "do your homework". Everyday I see a person on tv, or hear them on the radio, or chat with them at the work coffee machine, or at a family dinner, or on the sidewalk in front of my house....and they have not done their homework. Not just on the issue of Islamic terrorism, but on every issue that would make the top 20 of today. Everyday I'm subjected to dozens, or hundreds, of people who have formed strict unbending positions on a topic without understanding the topic at a grade school level. How do I know this? Because I ask questions of my unscholarly victims and it rarely takes more than a few questions challenging their position before the charade of their understanding the topic is apparent. I'm not saying these people are stupid, merely lazy.

What's almost as scary as the global Islamic cancer is the number of people who see one tv news story, or read one story in their local paper, or hear from a single friend a passionate oration, and they have their solid position. They're sure this is the correct position and they will even talk about it with passion and as if it's as certain as 2+2=4. Could they be right, or better put could their position hold up to scrutiny and research...sure it could...but it would be lucky if their one source of knowledge on the topic turned out to the best one. But see, that's not my point...that you must have the RIGHT position...my point is don't be so sure, so foaming at the mouth, so righteous when you do not have the facts at hand. If you've not done a good job at trying to understand the positions of those at the poles of a topic as well as seeking a source that has the appearance of independence, well then your staunch position is dishonest.

So before you believe in your position on Iraq, Israel, Iran, North Korea, Global Warming, Nuclear power, Gay marriage, trickle down economics, public schools, affirmative action, illegal immigration, military interrogation methods, and countless other topics....before you set your position in stone...do your homework!

No comments: